You’ll have seen from our last post that since moving into our new place, we’ve been making quite a bit of homemade food! This year will hopefully be a year of real exploration of vegetarian and vegan food for us. What I’ve found so far is that vegetarian and vegan food definitely doesn’t mean less flavour or satisfaction. These veggie meatballs were delicious, so flavoursome and filling!
We had our friend Amy round for dinner and had this lovely Italian dinner with a few glasses of red 🍷 The prep does take a bit of time, maybe a few hours in total but it is worth it! The result was very tasty (if I do say so myself).
If you’re trying to make the transition to vegetarian, why not give these a go as a meat substitute?
Herbs, veggie Parmesan & mushrooms
- 500g mushrooms chopped up into little pieces
- 1 onions chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- Olive oil for frying
- 3 pieces of bread
- 2 eggs
- 65g oats
- Few handfuls of parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetarian Parmesan
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
Cook those balls!
- Fry the mushrooms in olive oil on a medium heat for 5 minutes
- Add onion and then garlic and continue to fry until soft and the mixture is smooth
hroom mixture in a bowl and add the oats, veggie Parmesan, parsley, herbs and seasoning. Mix it all up!
4. Soak 3 pieces of bread in water for a few minutes. Squeeze out the excess water and add to the mixture, mixing until it’s all combined.
nd mix in to combine. Cover up the bowl and put it in the fridge for a few hours or up to overnight. The prep does take a good while so I did it one evening to then have the meatballs the following day. I think doing it all in one go would be a bit too much effort!
6. Take the meatball mixture out of the fridge and roll into balls. Spread a little oil on a tray and place the balls on top.
e oven to 170 degrees and place in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until nice and crisp and brown 😋
I served the ‘meat’balls with tagliatelle and a sauce made from:
- Garlic and onion fried
- Sundried tomatoes and olives
- Salt and pepper
Top with some more vegetarian Parmesan and fresh basil leaves! Ta-daaaa 🍝
Enjoy and let me know if you give this a try!